Tuesday, March 25, 2008

On Recycling Plants: Gardens with a Minimal budget

So like I said in my last post, I will be experimenting with a veggie garden using a minimal or absent budget.

My new project begins with carrots. Try this out with organic veggies from a local farmer's market.

I've cut off the tops of delicious carrots and are now soaking them in a shallow dish of water. So far, the tops have sprouted into small devilish cute little greens!

I would show a picture here, but I am unfortunately without a USB cable.

Once auxiliary roots begin to grow, I will transplant them outside in my deep box, the same one I used last year. For instructions on making a box, go to this post:
Build A Box!!!

Another veggie I will try out next is a beet. Perhaps a regular bloody one or the golden variety. Either way, if I am successful, I will be able to enjoy the yummy greens in salads, sautees, or soufles. or in risottos.

A plant I wish I could afford right now is a dwarf orange or lemon tree. I would like to opt for a non-stunted variety, however I do live in an apartment without a yard.

1 comment:

Wicked Gardener said...

I'll be interested on seeing how your experiment turns out.